"Total Immersion in Mozart and Tchaikovsky"
A seminar for instrumentalists, vocalists, conductors and pre-formed chamber groups. Auditors welcome!
July 5-15, 2013
U-HAC International Home Base
22 Riverdale Road
This ten day seminar, focusing on the works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is open to musicians and music lovers of all ages and levels and will include private lessons, master classes, chamber music coachings, open rehearsals, lectures, concerts and much, much more.
- Each individual participant will be offered five private lessons and at least six chamber music coachings. There will also be opportunities to perform in master classes and concerts and attend open rehearsals and lectures. (All chamber music groups formed for this seminar will be made up of a combination of faculty members and participants). Pre-formed chamber groups will be offered seven private chamber music coachings, the participation in other chamber groups, and optional participation in concerts, master classes, and open rehearsals. Conductors will receive seven intensive, highly personalized private lessons with Dr. Swensen and the opportunity to conduct large chamber ensembles. They will also be invited to play in chamber music groups. Participants will be encouraged to attend each other's lessons and take part in all other activities at the seminar.
- There will be limited space and participants will be chosen primarily on a first come, first served basis. A personal telephone/skype interview will follow the receipt of applications.
- All decisions concerning the repertoire for individual lessons and chamber music groups formed at the seminar will be made in advance of the start of the seminar and participants will be notified at that time.
- Exact schedules will be supplied upon arrival.
- Solo and chamber music performances given by the faculty members will be a central feature of this seminar.
- There will also be lectures presented on Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, an exhibition of the artwork of Roman Rabinovich, films, fun and gourmet food created from our own organic farm by our own culinary artist in residence Suki Ciappara. Suki will also be offering informal guidance in the culinary arts throughout the seminar to anyone interested.
Our faculty for this seminar includes (among others):
- Joseph Swensen: Internationally renowned violinist, conductor, composer and recording artist. For full bio, click here >>>
- Victoria Eisen: Winner, Young Concert Artists Competition (Hexagon), former Principal Horn: Stamford Symphony (CT), New York Chamber Orchestra and Solisti New York, registered nurse and psychological counselor. For full bio, click here >>>
- Roman Rabinovich: Winner, 2008 Arthur Rubinstein Piano Competition, and international concert pianist. For full bio, click here >>>
- Mihai Marica: Winner, 2006 "Dr. Luis Sigall" International Cello Competition, member of the Concert Artists Guild Victor Elmaleh Competition winning Amphion String Quartet. For full bio, click here >>>
- Katie Hyun: International Violin Soloist appearing with such orchestras as the Philadelphia and Houston Symphony Orchestras. Member of the Concert Artists Guild Victor Elmaleh Competition winning Amphion String Quartet. For full bio, click here >>>
Directions to home base:
From New York City:
Take the West Side Highway North which becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway. Take exit 4 toward Cross County Pkwy East towards Hutchinson Parkway. Merge onto Cross County Pkwy East (once on this stay left). Cross County Pkwy becomes Hutchinson River Pkwy North. Continue on the Hutchinson Pkwy North traveling into Connecticut. Hutchinson River Pkwy becomes CT-15 North. Take I-91 North via EXIT 68 North-East toward CT-66 East/Hartford (passing through Massachusetts, then crossing into Vermont). Take exit 1, US-5, toward Brattleboro. Turn right onto Canal St/US-5. Turn slight left onto Main St/US-5. Continue to follow US-5 North. Turn slightly left onto Park Pl / US-5/VT - 9 South. Turn right onto Linden St / VT -30.Continue to follow VT-30. Turn LEFT onto Riverdale Rd.; house (number 22) is on the right.
I-93 North to I-485 South via EXIT 44B toward Lowell. Merge onto RT-2 West via EXIT 29B toward Leominster. Merge onto I-91 North toward Brattleboro VT. (Crossing into Vermont). Take the US-5 exit, (EXIT 1), toward Brattleboro. Turn right onto Canal St / US-5. Turn slightly left onto Main St / US-5 North. Continue to follow US-5 North. Turn slight left onto Linden St / VT-30. Continue to follow VT-30. Turn left onto Riverdale Road. House #22 is on the right.
International airports near Townshend, VT
61 miles: Albany International Airport - Albany, NY
63 miles: Manchester-Boston Regional Airport - Manchester, NH
77 miles: Bradley International Airport - Hartford, CT
96 miles: Logan International Airport - Boston, MA
The U-HAC home base is a fifteen room, historic, circa 1776 farmhouse built on five acres of lush rolling hills and rushing streams. It is furnished with antiques, beds, pianos, and has a large living room, an inviting porch and an eat-in country style kitchen. Most of the bedrooms are dormitory style.
For those preferring to live off-campus, local hotels/motels are listed below, please contact them directly.
The River Bend Lodge - 1086 Vt Route 30, Newfane - (802) 365-7952
The Windham Hill - 311 Lawrence Drive, West Townshend - (802) 874-4080
The Four Columns Inn - 21 West Street, Newfane - (802) 365-7713
The Newfane Inn - Village Common & Ct St, Newfane - (802) 365-4427
The Putney Inn - 57 Putney Landing Road, Putney - (802) 387-5517
The Old Tavern - 92 Main Street, Grafton -(800) 843-1801